Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hola--Mexico MTC First Week Survival Guide

Hola family and friends! 

There is so much to tell you and so little time.  Most of our pday (the one day a week we spend writing letters, doing laundry and errands, etc.) was spent at the Mexico temple visitor center, so I don’t have as much time to write today.  

My district (they divide the missionaries into smaller groups) is all going to Chile. The 4 hermanas are going to the Conception South Mission, and ALL six elders are going to Antofagasta. 

MTC (CCM) first week survival guide:

1. The first week is hard. Why? Well, after the plane ride, traveling through an airport where they speak Spanish, driving on a bus through a crazy city, not eating dinner because it looks gross, you finally lay down on your bed and realize you are not going to be with your family for 2 years.  After that first day being so long, you think every day will be the same.

2. It gets better. Not easier, but better. The food took me about 3 days to finally start eating it. Now I eat every meal.

3. Tuesday Costco pizza night saved my life this week ☺ I used to think Costco pizza was just ok. NO. IT IS THE BEST THING EVER.

4. You teach your investigator a 20 minute lesson on the second day--in Spanish.  This was a very humbling experience.  I looked like a 5 year old trying to explain the string theory.  Don’t be hard on yourself though. You are only on the first week.

5. Know that you have a long long ways to go before you are at the point of a functional missionary. Be happy and grateful with the progress you made today with the Lord’s help.

6. The spirit is constantly here. It is not overpowering all the time (sometimes it is) but it is mostly constant, always there to comfort you.

7. If I hadn’t pushed myself to do hard things in high school, I would probably be on the next plane home. Also, if I wasn’t morally clean, I would be already gone. Without some tough skin and a clean heart you won’t last out here. The only thing that keeps me going even when everything else has been stripped away is my testimony. Do hard things before you come, push yourself. Get clean and stay clean. Build and flourish your testimony. You will need it. Others will too.

Everyone says they "love the people.” I now see why. I finally have the chance to focus my entire existence on seeing how God and Christ see us.  I can and will introduce people to the best thing in the entire world. I can’t wait to see the light of the gospel burn in the eyes of a new concert or a less active member.

Not much time left. Sorry I couldn’t email you individually, but I read them all—thank you for your love and support.

Mom, got the letter, I loved it, hint hint.


This has been the hardest thing I have ever done but it is worth it. It is worth it because this is the Lords’ work and I feel that witness burning in my chest every day.  

I love you all so much.  I did cry a couple times, but mostly because I am so happy to be here. 

Con mucho Amor,
Elder Phillips

P.S. General Conference (televised Church this Sunday) will be in English. YEAH!!!!!! 



Costco Pizza Tuesday!


Dinner!

My Room

Mexico City Temple with the District

Me and My Companion

Mickey and Minnie Mexico Style


No comments :

Post a Comment