Monday, January 5, 2015

12 Grapes in 12 Seconds and 100 Days

Hola!

Not that I’m counting or anything, but yesterday was my 100 day mark on the mission!  Yeah, I know there are still SOO many days left, but I just like the number 100. It’s so...exact haha.

New Year’s Eve was pretty boring and safe-we stayed inside our apartment. There are lots of traditions here--like burning homemade figures of people.  It’s a symbolic way to burn away the bad times of the last year.  It looked like the end of the world to me.

At 11 (which I pretended was 12 since that is when missionaries go to bed here) I ate 12 grapes in 12 seconds--another tradition.  I almost threw up because I was laughing so hard when I realized my companion was already asleep.  So there I was with a mouth full of grapes, standing alone in my apartment with fires and drunken people outside. It was interesting to say the least.  Happy New Year!

Every week we teach English classes.  One comment about English from a student:  Why is "w" called double-"u" and not double-"v" like in Spanish.  As their guide into the world of English, I look pretty dumb when they point out things like that.  Come on English!  I trusted you! haha :)

The family we are working with likes going to the beach EVERY Sunday...so no church for them at the moment.  But we did find a 15-year-old girl (I thought she was 25) who wants to be baptized.  Honestly, she is incredible.  She goes to church every week for three hours.  She has already read First Nephi (in the Book of Mormon) AND is doing her PERSONAL PROGRESS (a goal program for teenage girls in the LDS church).  She is an INVESTIGATOR, not even a member yet.  Wow!

She especially impressed me during our activity at the church when we decorated the chapel as the Celestial Kingdom--with toilet paper.  Yay for poor missionaries!  As we had our Bishop explain about what life will be like in heaven, she kept leaning forward, her mind focused on everything he was saying.  She whispered to me, "I want that.  I want to live with my family and be happy forever.  What do I need to do?"  Seriously, a chosen one.  Sadly, she has to wait until she is 18 or her mom says ok.  :(

Other than that, we continue to do a lot of walking.  But I keep pushing forward every day.  Sometimes the mission feels like an endless mountain trail.  That’s why I love The Sound of Music’s “Climb Every Mountain” or "The Climb" from Hannah Montana if you hate Broadway (por que?).  The gospel doesn’t eliminate our mountains; but it gives us the strength to keep going.

So whatever your mountain is, keep climbing…and enjoy the view.

From the cheesiest missionary you know,
Everything is awesome,
Elder Phillips :)

Climbing that Mountain One Step at a Time

Happy New Year!

A Completo--Hot Dog, Guacamole, Mayo

Our Celestial Kingdom

A Nice Family


1 comment :