Monday, June 22, 2015

Feliz Dia Papa!

Hola,

To get the most important thing out of the way, Happy Father's Day!!  Whenever I show my family picture to people here, everyone says, "Wow, your mom is very pretty. And you look exactly like your dad!"

In our sacrament meeting, a lady from Mexico talked about an experience she had during an open house tour of one of our temples. As she walked through the room with a giant mirror where the brides get ready, and later in the room where the marriage ceremony takes place—a room where we believe we are sealed to our families for time and all eternity, she began to weep.  She made the decision right there to fight for this sacred privilege--in a world that could care less what she did with her life.  Her final words impacted me: "Your kids deserve the right to have an eternal family."

This Father’s Day I am thankful for a kind, smart, sacrificing and Christ-like father.  Little do my parents realize how long I spend on my knees thanking God for the privilege of having them as my guides, my source of happiness, my friends.  I try to live my life in such a way to honor these rare gifts I have been given.

As far as the week went, due to the Copa America it’s been kind of a tough week for lessons--with canceled appointments and caterpillar days.  People get depressed when Chile looses in soccer and they get drunk when they win. Which is kind of a lose lose situation for missionaries haha. It also doesn’t help that today is National Strike Day and people aren’t going to work.

We were invited to the ward activity to watch the soccer game.  I thought Americans were crazy about football.  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  There were tears, gasps, screaming--with every eye glued to the screen. If you know anything about me, you might imagine how I looked.  Honestly it was fun to get into it the spirit of it, but I will never be able to care as much as they do.   GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!  At least I can say I played it a few  years as a child--go AYSO!

But we have been working with a new family, an older couple in their mid 50s (sorry, for me that is old) with their two kids.  What struck me about them was how much they much have changed in these 20 years.  The dad is covered in tattoos and used to be involved with drugs.  Now they have a family, a nice house and want to learn about God.  We taught the mother how to pray, giving the first prayer in her life. She was shocked how it felt, like finally being able to feel something after years of static and silence.

Have a great week dying in the summer heat.  :P

Everything is awesome,
Elder Phillips

Yes, I live on the moon :)

No comments :

Post a Comment