Monday, December 15, 2014

It's a Wonderful Life and Other Christmas Musings

Hola y feliz Navidad!

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  Well, actually no.  There are a few houses with lights and Christmas trees but that’s all. Christmas is celebrated more simply here, if at all.

I took my first sick day this week. Tuve gripe!! (I had the flu!)  Luckily, I only had to take the morning off.  It felt weird to sleep in past 7, like someone was going to come in and start yelling at me to get up...memories of high school :) Thankfully I feel better now.

This week in the street market we set up a stand for people to sign up and have us come to their houses and sing Christmas carols.  Talk about a bunch of grinches!  NO ONE wanted us to come.  After an hour of constant rejection from people, I got a little desperate.  I pulled out my iPod and speaker, turned on my Christmas MOTAB (Mormon Tabernacle Choir) music and started singing, walking into the crowd and trying to get people to talk to me.  With my hat and sign, I probably looked a little crazy...but it felt good to be bolder.

Now I’m not saying you have to go out on the street and sing to share the gospel, but what is the worst that could happen if you started talking to someone next to you about the gospel, Christmas, or Christ?  They would say no, there would be an awkward pause, and you would move on with your life knowing you did what God has been practically begging us to do.

So this week, take 30 seconds and be bold with someone about the gospel (yeah, this sounds like the movie We Bought a Zoo, but its worth doing).

I’ve been thinking a lot about Christmas.  Back home, we would watch the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life” every Christmas Eve.  There have been times on my mission so far when I think I am not making a difference--that this is a waste of time, and no one cares about what I have to say.  I imagine what the world would be like without the personal service I have done and will do, and realize missions are just like that movie I watch every year.

I look back at the blessings I have given to the sick, the words of encouragement to my companion, my testimony to investigators.  I matter. You matter.  It’s a wonderful life because we make a difference no matter how small it seems to us. Out of small things proceedeth that which is great (D&C 64:33).

Just my thoughts of the week.  The mission is a blessing because I get a lot of time to reflect and ponder the questions in my soul. It is a sacred time.

Have a great week!!  Merry Christmas!

Everything is awesome,
Elder Phillips


Wouldn't you like us to come sing Christmas carols?  :)


Church Activity


Christmas Tree in the Town Plaza


No comments :

Post a Comment