Friday, January 2, 2015

I'll Be Home For Christmas, If Only In My Dreams

December 23, 2014

You would think that Christmas time would be an easy time for missionary work, but this week was pretty slow.  A unique challenge we face here is that people work for “turns”, which means they work for seven days (many times out of town) and then come home and rest/sleep for 7 days.  A lot of them are working right now and there is even school on Christmas! So sad.

On another note--lol, singing is awesome.  We talked to an old lady who said her daughter would be interested in hearing from us, so we walked over to her house. We thought it would be nice to sing her a Christmas hymn and invite her to our branch activity.  

She came to the door and we started singing Silent Night (or in Spanish, Night of Light).  After one verse I looked up and saw that she was crying.  She just kept crying.  We asked her what she was feeling and she told us she felt something very powerful.

We will see what comes of it, but songs definitely have power (especially when I don’t have the words yet to talk in Spanish).

Other than that, I made Christmas sugar cookies and decorated them, burning my hand in the process with our ghetto oven haha.  But it made me feel very festive.
All the missionaries are SUPER excited to talk to their families. Well, maybe my companion is less so because he is GOING HOME IN FOUR WEEKS-very exciting for him! The truth is that it is hard to be away from my family during my favorite time of the year.  Heavenly Father knows that, so he has been giving me lots of gifts--like an overwhelming feeling of peace, a loaf of bread from a stranger, and a reconfirmation that he actually is my father in heaven.

If I miss my family, imagine how much Heavenly Father misses all of us.  He doesn’t get one even one Christmas with us!  It must be hard for him.

Merry Christmas to all!  God bless us everyone!!!! :P

´´I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.´´  And that will have to do for now :)

Everything is awesome,

Elder Phillips :P


I Made Christmas Sugar Cookies!

No comments :

Post a Comment