Saturday, May 30, 2015

Caterpillar Days

Hola famila y amigos,

As missionaries we set daily goals to help us be more effective--goals such as how many lessons we will teach, referrals, new people to teach.  This week there were a couple of what I call "caterpillar days" where all your numbers for the day turn out to be 0 0 0 0 0 0 which if you draw a little legs and cute face it looks like a caterpillar! And feels like one too :) But as I am a third of the way done with my mission...yes it is true--I am able to handle those days when nothing happens, even when you are trying everything you can think of to have something happen.

Despite the menacing insects invading my agenda, we did have an interesting week.

On Tuesday, we went to lunch at our mamita’s house like we always do but as we entered the house, a 7 foot white man jumped out and attacked us with hugs. It turned out to be my first zone leader, Elder P., visiting the mission with his parents.  It was so good to talk to him and his parents about what he is doing with his life—like his girlfriend and all the fun things he is doing... But can I say TRUNKIE ATTACK?  After lunch my companion and I just sat there in our apartment stunned by it all. I got over it though. Some day I will be able to watch my mom and dad eat Chilean food and attempt to speak Spanish :P  BUT THAT DAY IS NOT TODAY and that’s ok!!!

We met with various people this week who all seem to have problem with drugs and alcohol. Their lives are completely controlled by these substances that everyone told me in high school "weren’t bad and had no lasting consequences".  I beg to differ. As they tell me, "I only was going to try it once but now I have to sleep every night in jail and demons haunt my house".  It makes me glad that I listened to my parents when they told me not to try things even once—it’s not worth it!

Yesterday we were looking for less active members to teach.  We knocked on a house but couldn’t really see inside since the power in the city had been cut off. A woman’s voice told us to come in. I couldn’t see much but I could tell she was very glad to see us.  We talked with her family and her a little bit before she explained that she was a very active member for many years but had fallen away.  A few days ago she was praying for a way to come back to church.  The next day a missionary in a taxi gave her a Book of Mormon and two day later we showed up at her door!

After 8 months, this is the first experience like that for me--where I really felt like an answer to someone’s prayer. And she was an answer to mine because 20 minutes before that, I prayed that we could find someone, anyone that would listen and let us sit down.  Yeah!!

Ward conference was good, 137 people! I sang a solo in the choir and fell asleep on the stand :)

Have a great week!  And don’t tell me anything about the new Beauty and the Beast movie with Emma Watson.  Talk about distractions haha

Everything is awesome,
Elder Phillips

We are short or he is tall :)

No comments :

Post a Comment