Sunday, March 13, 2016

Brainwashed--A Fool For Christ's Sake (I Corinthians 4:10)

March 7, 2016

Hola Familia y amigos!

Stake conference (a large church meeting) in another country is always interesting. It started at 9:00 am and there were barely enough people to fill the chapel.  We sang the first hymn, I looked back and it was all full.  Mormon standard time breaks through cultural barriers. haha

I think this sector has been the toughest I’ve had with people rejecting us.  They must be paranoid about the world because if they find one thing bad on the computer about the church they don’t want to speak with us, disregarding everything good we’ve taught.  It could be an effect of the political repression they experienced a few decades ago.

People tell me we are just brainwashed people trying to brainwash the rest of them.  I took a minute to think about it and that doesn’t make any sense.  Would it be logical for a church that wants to keep a grasp on its young members to send them out all over the world with the goal to exchange ideas with every type of person--educated, poor, radical, convincing, etc. and not be convinced by them? If our doctrine and the church that contains it couldn’t stand on its own it would have crumbled into the pit of ideological ruins long ago.  But here I am in Chile 2016 helping to grow the most important organization that exists in the world. So, if I’m brainwashed with the truth, so be it.

We talked with our young man investigator who also studies with the Jehovah Witnesses. We watched Elder Holland’s testimony about the Book of Mormon and the sacrifices that it took to bring it forth.  "That man speaks with such authority," he commented. "That's because he’s an apostle of Jesus Christ with the same priesthood power as Peter, James, and John. " I said.  Our message sure is bold—and I love it!

Have a wonderful week!

Everything is awesome,

Elder Phillips


A Completo--Hot Dog, Bun, Guacamole, Tomato Sauce, Mayo--Yum!

Reminds me of the river in Lehi's Tree of Life dream

My comp and another elder enjoying pday with me :)


No comments :

Post a Comment