Monday, June 20, 2016

Time Travel

Hola!

Well, it's the end of another transfer and I’m staying here in Chañaral, the world's quietest little town.  I only have 12 weeks left as a missionary, which is surreal since we start the mission with a 12-week training program--and it feels like I did it yesterday.

We had a fun surprise this week when we traveled to my old area Copiapo to get flu shots!  The shots were late so we missed our bus--leaving us with 5 hours to go around my old sector from a year ago!!!  It felt like walking through a dream, the streets were no longer covered in layers of dirt from the giant 2015 flood.  We went to my mamitas house and she was a little shocked to see us. "Oh hi elders...wait, what are YOU doing here!?!?" haha

A year ago Elder P. and I knocked on a door of a less active lady who decided to come back to church.  Talking with the mamita I found out that she is now going to the temple to receive her endowment and do baptisms with her newly baptized daughter and she also is the 2nd counselor in her ward relief society!  We stopped by her house but she was working, so we left a note.

If only a year has passed and people have changed that much, I can’t imagine what 2, 5, or 10 years can bring.  As a missionary it's hard to see your daily efforts, but I’ve learned that a small conversation that you feel has no importance can have eternal consequences for some people--it makes it all worth it.

On Sunday our friend Fernando received the Aaronic priesthood and now is a deacon.  He started to go to church by himself after being inactive for 2 years--he is really a great example for the branch that you are the one who must change your life.

Have a wonderful week!

Everything is awesome,
Elder Phillips

The park in Copiapo--good as new!

Good to see old friends again!






Can't wait to see this when I get home!
The Church in Copiapo--all clean!

A familiar place

Old friends!

Attempting to barbeque

A little too much of something


Dad would be so proud

My apartment in Chanaral

No comments :

Post a Comment